“We knew we were dealing with a family owned and run business- they were only a phone call away”
Jones and Sons – Manor Farm, Thedingworth
Agricultural Steel Buildings
What do you want to use your steel building for?
- Hay barns
- Crop storage
- Dairy units
- Machinery storage
What you may need to consider for your building:
Here are some of the questions you may want to ask at this stage
How will I ventilate my cattle building?
There are many different options to look at; you may already have a preference that has worked for you in the past or we can suggest popular solutions
How can I make my grain store meet the quality assurance scheme?
The building will be designed with this in mind to ensure no deterioration of the product occurs, for example no skylights, louvered ventilation in the gable, spill plates on the grain walling
Will I need planning permission?
It is likely you will need planning permission. Most will just need a general development order, which will take 28 days
Can I have different wall options?
Concrete panel walls are very universal and quick to install, block walls and metal grain walling can also be used, you may have your own preference
What foundations will I need?
Your building will require a firm and solid foundation which is specified by engineers. We’ll give you full information and we can also build the necessary foundations for you
Is condensation an issue?
This will typically depend on the use of the building
If required you can reduce the potential for condensation through using fibre cement sheets, or an anti-condensation layer on single skin cladding, or as an alternative insulated panels can be used. Please call us and ask, we’ll be pleased to give you all the information you require
Will the use of the building affect the design?
Yes, it could affect the whole building so it is an important factor. You can have the building designed to your exact specification, and we’re happy to discuss how to make the building most efficient for your purpose
Can I position doors anywhere in the building?
Personnel and vehicle access door and fire exit doors can be situated anywhere apart from where vertical columns are sited
You will find more detailed information at www.steadmans.co.uk one of our main suppliers or go to our Frequently Asked Questions Page or just give us a call on 01664 566119 and we’ll be happy to discuss your exact requirements with you.
What if I want to customise my building?
Of course there may be specific reason why you want a slightly different specification. We’ll be happy to advise you of course, however here are the more common options and building accessories
Personnel access doors
Option 1: 10 point locking high quality heavy duty security doors (high quality is our standard)
Option 2: Single point locking, light weight doors
Option 3: Heavy duty fire exit doors
Option 4: Double opening doors
Traffic access doors
Option 1: Rolling shutter doors – light or heavy gauge
Option 2: High speed doors
Option 3: Insulated sectional doors
Option 4: Hydro-swing doors, for wide openings
Option 5: Dock loading solutions
Windows: Double glazed PVCu window units fitting into side walls
Flashing trims/weather seals: Either matching or contrasting sheet colour
Heated building: Insulated panels up to 120mm thick to meet regulations
Drip stop on underside of roof sheets: Anti-condensation liner on single skin roof sheeting- prevents dripping from changing temperatures on underside of steel sheeting
Roof lights: Skylights used in roof sheeting, allow for lots of natural light
Lean-tos: Easy to add lean-tos for extra cover or increased space
Internal partition: Separate areas with internal steel cladding
Mezzanine floors: Make use of the space above your head and increase the potential storage area
Extended eaves/gable: Gives extra shelter and aesthetics
You’ll find more information at www.ridba.co.uk or please just call on 01664 566119 for any outline advice you may want at this stage.
What are the advantages of using a steel building?
Although each agricultural building is designed with specific features in mind, they all use steel portal frames. This shows how adaptable they are to suit many needs, along with being inexpensive and quick to build, here are some of the common reasons to use steel buildings over other concrete or wooden framed buildings:
- Flexible usable space: Portal frame structure means you can achieve large covered spaces
- Fast return on investment/cost effective: Precision manufacturing processes means kit type structures with low wastage and short on-site construction times to give you lower installation costs
- British suppliers and manufacturers: So you can be sure of a reliable service and high quality, while also helping our economy.
- Warranty: You can be assured of unrivalled warranties over other constructions with warranties on some buildings of up to 30 years click here for more details
- Low maintenance: Your building would would be easy to look after with fully galvanised/primed or painted with good gutter systems and cladding with high quality finishes
- Environment: You can help the environment with low raw material usage and good packaging reduces transport costs. Steel is 100% sustainable; at least 40% of steel used in construction has been recycled. We recycle all waste steel and keep your site tidy to minimise our impact on the environment. Please click for our full environmental policy
- Also: Easily expandable in future when you want to extend, easy to re-clad if your building looks tired or damaged
Contact us to see how we can help you achieve your finished building to suit your ideas and budget on 01664 566119.
So why should I choose a DPL agricultural steel building?
Here are just some of the reasons our long list of happy customers choose to work with us
1. Value: Our buildings are very competitively priced, giving great value with excellent quality. We aren’t quite the cheapest though because our buildings are built to last, are as maintenace free as they come, look good for there lifetime, and our services are completely hassle free
2. Our guarantee: If something is wrong with your building, we’ll fix it, no quibble, no extra cost
3. Planning permission advice: We give you advice and help get your building through the planning process
4. No hassle: We can be your one-stop shop, from foundations through to fit out, making the process as easy as possible for you from order to completion
5. Experience: Hot and cold rolled building experts to help you get the best solution
6. Our installation team: We use our own qualified erectors and groundwork teams with lots of experience able to deal with many different applications
7. Confidence: Visit us to see our display site or speak to our many happy customers. We are very proud of our referrals and repeat customers who would be willing to show you our work
8. Carry out many aspects of work:
New builds, Extensions, Re-cladding, Door openings created, Site clearance/preparation, Footings, Concrete floors, Service trenches, Building fit-out,
9. Good advice: We listen to the requirements to get the best solution
Get in touch today for the right advice and pricing information and join our many customers who have already trusted us to carry out their latest building project –
Call Peter or David now on 01664 566119
Check out our Frequently asked questions page