Continuing a family tradition
DPL founders, David and Peter Lovegrove spent their childhoods on the family farm in Leicestershire. Keen to follow in their father’s footsteps, they took over the arable and cattle farm as they grew up, becoming the third generation of the family to do so.
The grain of an idea
In the early 1990s, they were asked if they would sell the grain store on their land to another farmer. They decided it would be useful for them to reinvest the money in a new grain store that also included a workshop and could be adapted as a machinery store. They realised they could make their budget go further and get the larger building they needed by doing the work themselves. They’d always done their own small engineering work, like building new trailers, so they relished the challenge, and set about making and erecting their own steel building.
The smart, practical new building they produced attracted plenty of interest locally – and before long, a local farmer asked David and Peter if they would build one for him too.
Word spread further afield, more people asked the brothers for buildings, and business snowballed. Their aim was to give others the same high level of quality they’d achieved with their own project.
Time to decide…
Perhaps inevitably, within a couple of years of trying to run both the farming and the growing steel buildings businesses, David and Peter reached a point where they had to make a decision.
They opted to focus on the steel buildings.
The business has gone on to achieve great success. As it expanded, David and Peter decided that, rather than continue to make their own high quality buildings, they would give customers even more possibilities by sourcing them from manufacturers they trust.
The company now includes members of the next Lovegrove generation. And to this day, at DPL, we remain true to the family roots behind the company, and to the values with which our founders started.
What we stand for:
To go beyond quality, competence and integrity.
- Delivering customer satisfaction by listening to and exceeding customer expectations
- Adding value to our customers through our services
- Providing assets and solutions to help our customers achieve their goals
- Delivering quality in our approach and all our work
- Improving or changing our process’s for the better
- Employing teams of competent and talented staff
- Investing in training
- Encouraging and recognising outstanding performance
- Behaving ethically in all our business and financial activities
- Respecting all our customers and staff
- Being aware of the environment at all times